Lately I’ve been really into playing regular old Solitaire on my phone to take a mental break here and there throughout the day. I started thinking about why I love it so much, especially lately as I’ve been practicing my own Mindful Acceptance.
Some valuable lessons solitaire can teach us include:
- There’s only so much you can control
- A large part of solitaire is dependent on Chance, the “luck of the draw”
- Another part is based on the constant decisions a player makes
- The player’s decision, of course, directly affects the game, but only in varying degrees at different times, combined with what cards they currently have available to them
- If they don’t take any “do-overs” the player must live with each choice they’ve made and continue forward to make the best of what they have now, even if it’s not exactly the result they wanted
- The player can constantly learn and improve by experimenting and making different choices in the future
- Sometimes the player must observe the playing field carefully to see if they’ve missed anything that might help them
- If the player’s not careful, they might miss a great opportunity to further the game
- The player can’t assume they already know how things will turn out, nor can they simply give up when all seems lost
- In short, they must accept the hand they’ve been dealt and navigate decisions to work best with whatever they have in front of them.
What other lessons do you take from everyday experiences around you?