A good title for the 10 of Wands is “Opression.” I used to take it as a warning—that constantly pursuing the path of your energy will inevitably lead to overwhelming responsibility. And while that can be true, today I gained more nuanced insight on the matter…
10 is the sephirot of completion for a cycle, or the Physical, Tangible Manifestation of the journey that first elemental spark took. For Wands, or Fire, “Oppression” is the material reality brought about by all of the energetic ambition built up before it. The nuance I gained today involves the acknowledgement that this can be the manifestation of our Dreams — our ambitions came to manifest in Reality!
So this is good news! I can rejoice in this! There is still the cautionary truth, however, that with new achievements come new responsibility. This, I’ve come to realize, is the heart of this card. You’ve achieved your goals; now understand you must work to maintain your new Reality. And that’s ok. 🙂
When the #king of #swords appears, it is a sign of #ambition #ruling over #thought. Your #fire blazes and is fed by the #Air of your #mind. But be careful not to let your fire consume all the air around you or your ambition will starve itself…
#tarot #courtcards #thoughtfortheday
Self: Reversed Air (Thought) &Fire (Ambition)
- Thought feeds Ambition
- But when Reversed… Fire is either fed to the point of losing control, OR Air blows so hard that the Fire cannot be sustained
Situation: Virtue – a deductive understanding of your Ambitions
Advice: Reversed Strength
- (The bridge between the extremes of INTENT is broken; you cannot rely on your Intentions because they are currently at odds with each other. Patience is what is required now.)
Based on the Advice for today (placed in the Unconscious Triangle), I believe that it is my Thoughts that are blowing out my Fire. I need to be aware of that and employ Patience instead of wrestling to get my opposite Intentions to Unite at this moment.
I wanted to share an inspiring Tarot Tale I received today…
At this moment in my life I’m going through a lot of mental turmoil, for various reasons, a lot of it medical… but there is a light on the horizon. 😉
My cards today reminded me of the nature of Thought and suggested an alternative approach. I used the 5-card spiritual progress spread…
- Where I am right now: Cruelty (9 of Swords)
- My central lesson: Defeat (5 of Swords)
- Influences encouraging growth: King of Earth
- Influences against growth: Truce (4 of Swords)
- What I should do: Virtue (3 of Wands)
So right now I seem to be stuck in constant self-reflection on my own Thoughts. (Which is definitely true.) :p There needs to be new inspiration (sometimes from outside myself) breathed into my mind to free me from the never-ending cycle. Thus, the need for mental Defeat.
This 5 of Swords can mean Defeat of the querent by others (or themselves), or the querent is perhaps poised to defeat others… either way it’s a mental defeat of ideas and thoughts–a loss of Ideals–and it friends on the context of the spread.
For me, it’s definitely speaking to a need to lose my own current ideals. Therefore, Truce among my own thoughts is not going to help me grow past this.
Notice what is supposed to help me grow, however: allowing my Fire of ambition to feed upon and reshape my physical Reality (King of Pentacles), being careful of course not to utterly destroy my surroundings with too much flame…
And then we come to “what I should do”: Virtue. Recall that Binah is the growth of deductive reasoning about an element to the point that we are able to construct a framework of understanding upon which we further build that element’s journey. So the recommendation here is to focus on my Ambition (my Fire) to the point that I’m able to interrupt my current state of mind with a newly built framework of values, based on my ambition. This offers a way to break my cycle of self-cruelty in thinking.
As often happens, a “bad” card isn’t necessarily a bad thing for us, but instead can clear the way for us to move forward. 🙂
The concept of the third sephirot of Binah can be expressed as “davar mitoch davar” — understanding one idea from another idea. Binah multiplies the original seed of an Element to the point that a framework of Understanding of that element is built. (Source)
Framework of Understanding is the key point I want to focus on today.
I have to admit– I LOVE researching a topic in-depth if it relates to an awesome project I’ve got going… 😉 I need that thrill of creating something amazing to drive me into researching a topic inside and out!
Here’s a fun aside for you, to give an example from my current life: I am in the middle of researching a multi-faceted look at India during the Emergency as well as studying the epic of the Ramayana… all for the purpose of creating my first opera!!! I am super stoked!!!
(PS: I highly recommend this book I stumbled on, if you’re interested in reading a complete and lyrical retelling of the epic poem…)
What occurred to me today is how research works to create a framework upon which a new Reality (of knowledge) is built.
Continue reading “Featured Sephirot: Binah”
I haven’t really used the 7-card Horseshoe Spread often, but I decided to use it today and I’ve suddenly become a lot more fond of this spread!! Let me show you what I found…
The key observation that suddenly “lit the bulb” in my mind was that of horizontal connections between the cards. (Cards are numbered in order, from left to right.)
- Cards 3 & 5: Influences, Inner and Outer respectively
- In this case, inside my emotions are ruling and influencing my emotions further; outside, others’ thoughts are affecting me. Water and Air are both fluid elements and easily affect each other. Thus, my current state is like a permeable membrane, where the inner forces of Emotion and the outer forces of Thought easily influence one another.
- The Obstacles (Card 4, at the top) are a result of Thought influencing my Action– So, the recommendation here is that I should allow the fluid elements to rage as they will, inside and outside, BUT not be too hasty to let the Thoughts of Others influence my Actions!!!
- Cards 2 & 6: my Present Self meets the Action I should take
- We often forget– Action can only physically occur in the Present!! Past and Future have no direct bearing on the Action itself, though they do create influences for an Action’s trajectory…
- In this case, my cards were fascinating in the sense that the Hermit and Justice are direct mirror images of each other in the Triangle of Interpersonal Intent!!
- I am currently in a place of withdrawing from the Constructive sense of Community to find Balance in my interactions with others. But the presence of Justice implies that I tend to overcompensate and jump to a complete, Deconstructive sense of rejection of others (which I do). Instead, Justice reminds me that I need to reign that tendency in and come back to Balance.
- Cards 1 & 7: the Past meets Future Opportunities or Outcomes.
- The elemental forces that led me here are a striving of the Earth (Reality) to find grounding in the midst of Emotion. The presence of the ten of pentacles across from the Page suggests that, of the Page’s two influences, I should lean toward those opportunities that bring a fulfillment of the Earth part.
So, in general, let Thoughts and Emotions fluctuate as they do, but don’t let others’ thoughts rashly influence my actions. Seek the Mildness of balance in my interactions with others. And when facing the future, lean toward that which promotes a fulfillment of Material Wealth, not to be influenced by the ever-present sea of Emotion that brought me here.
Enjoy exploring the deeper relationships in the cards of your favorite spreads! I’ve found that the extra time and effort is well-spent! 😉
I got a very interesting and intense spread this morning, that I was eager to share…
Immediately I was struck by the presence of so many inter-related and conflicting Court Cards!
Here’s a breakdown:
- Higher Power (that which guides and supports me today): King of Fire or, Fire influencing further Fire
- Where I am right now: Ace of Cups– Emotional beginnings, without judgement, expectation, or fear, etc
- Situation that crosses me today: King of Cups or, Fire surrounded by Water (an uneasy alliance, where Fire moves to influence Water, but Water reacts in its own way)
- Note: Add Fire to the Current Situation and you get the Fire Queen
- Past Influences: Air guiding Water
- Opportunities: Create Mental Peace
- Note the relationship between 2 of Air and the Knight of Water!! Both share Air (Thought) in common… Thought is what guides and shapes the Knight’s Emotions.
In short, I am in a place of new Emotion today, but the burning energy of my ambitions is strong in my influences. Therefore, that Fire turns my Ace of Cups nature into a King of Cups (Fire influencing Emotion) Situation. Ergo, my near future consists of the furthering of that situation into the Queen (Water and Emotion) of (surrounded/influenced by) Fire.
Apparently my Thoughts carried my Emotions to this place not too long ago (Knight of Cups, who, by the way, tends to be like a “patron saint” of artists and creative types). So the Opportunity I have in this situation (or, what I can/should focus on controlling) is the mental Peace in my own mind (2 of Swords), by way of simply reflecting the original inspiration of Thought that comes from my Source at this time– in other words, I can generate peace in my mind by not overthinking things and just acknowledging inspiration as it comes….
Pretty straightforward, right? 😆
Want to know more about the Elemental aspect of the Court Cards? Check out this page…
Fire, or the Wands suit of the tarot, represents energy and ambition. The raw force to get things done and make change happen. It is visceral, powerful, and forms often an uneasy and delicate balancing act with the other elements of our personalities.
5 (Gevurah) is “the essence of judgment…and limitation, and corresponds to awe and the element of fire“. In the Tree of Life it is found on the left Pillar of Severity in the Triangle of Intention–how we determine we will act toward others, and how this determination colors our actions to come next.
So, the 5 of Wands is known as “Strife.”
Here’s the thing about your fire in relation to others and the way you direct your fire toward them: They will respond in kind.
You send fire their way and they will defend themselves with fire. This is why 6 of Fire, or the balance of intentions toward others, is called VICTORY– it is Victory over others.
It’s the way to achieve a Balance of Intention with the Wands.
By contrast, the 6 of Earth (Pentacles) is known as SUCCESS– it is a celebration of the fruit of your own work; the personal victories over your own self.
And, in every situation, we find a need to embrace one or the other. The Tree of Life is a picture of us all in entirety, at all times.
But it helps to be aware of the effects of our Fire upon others, so we are prepared to stand and continue to flame if we must.
Message of the King of Pentacles–Fire finds a home in Earth:
My Ambition cleanses and renews my surroundings and accomplishments. And my surroundings feed and nourish my Ambitions. It is a symbiotic relationship between what is and what we wish it to be.
1. The first flame of an idea;
2. The power and energy or Fire (using it to move forward);
3. “Virtue”– the Fire understands it’s purpose;
4. “Completion”– the Fire is established and ruling over its realms. It is content to remain working within what it has conquered…for now…
5. Fire is eager to burn down its borders that had established it and devour more around it– this is “Strife”, and the flames engulf any who are in its way;
6. “Victory”– in the paradise of Harmony and Consciousness, the Fire gains Victory over itself, others, and its own nature. It is settled once again and proud, for now…