Surely a spirit is in man, And the breath of the Mighty One Doth cause them to understand. (Job 32:8, Young’s Literal Translation)
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. (Genesis 2:7, KJV Cambridge Ed.)
Breath is… Spirit and Life…
As you ground yourself, slip your mindful awareness to your breath. It can be likened to your very spirit, rising and falling, flowing as a stream, within you. It flows from your toes to your head, and vice versa; it feeds every cell within–fueling and lighting your mini-verse.
Sense your breath–
Is it tight and restricted?
Is it free going in but short coming out?
Is it shallow coming in, leaving a sense of emptiness or constriction?
Is it quick, or slow?
Is your belly soft and relaxed?
Are your shoulders or chest tight and unmoving?
Your breathing-muscles are intimately attached to all that your body does and senses. Your breath may be an excellent mirror by which one can view the state of one’s mind– Is it preoccupied with the past or the future? Is it riddled with strong emotion? Is it fixated on thought, planning, contemplations? Chances are, then, the breath is also caught in this fixation and obsession, as the body reacts and holds the fixation in its muscles, and the flow of breath–of spirit–is affected in such a manner.
Breath is… Boring…
Consider how our minds tend to wander and frolic into areas of interest, whether it be areas of interest that are beneficial to us or not. The point is, watching our breath in silence is, well, boring; and how quickly our minds run off to play like little children! But, notice this: our bodies remain here, in the Now. Nevertheless, far too often, our minds and thoughts are elsewhere– either planning the future or regretting and remembering the past.
By focusing our attention on our breath and watching with acute awareness how our breath flows, we reunite our body and mind in the same place, in the here and now– and peaceful bliss will be the response. By bringing our awareness to immediate sensation rather than interpretive thought — which by necessity occurs after the impulse of sensation: the thing that occurs versus the mind’s interpretation of and associations with it — we are settling our mind on the immediacy of the sensation and the ever-changing nature of its impulses; we are taking refuge in what is happening here and now, reigning the mind in from its spastic wanderings to the past or future. We are realigning our full being and opening ourselves to unity, wholeness, and peace.
Breath is… Kinship with Nature…
“What a marvelous cooperative arrangement – plants and animals each inhaling each other’s exhalations, a kind of planet-wide mutual mouth-to-stoma resuscitation, the entire elegant cycle powered by a star 150 million kilometers away.” –Carl Sagan, Cosmos
- close your eyes, settled in meditative position
- begin the Grounding Meditation as your anchoring connection to Goddess Gaia
- see the light of the universe from above pour into your form through your crown chakra as it unfurls, opening as a lotus flower
- this pure light trickles down, filling your form with light until it streams outward from you through the surface of the earth upon which you sit, rushing down through the layers of crust below, flooding the Earth Heart Chakra with light — Gaia’s crystal at the center of the earth — until this light, enhanced by the power of the fiery crystal, bursts back up toward you, igniting the base of your spine with radiant energy! This pristine energy and light flow up the track of your spine, lighting every fiber of your being, until the mighty stream bursts upward from your opened Crown Chakra! It reignites the light source shining down upon you from above and envelops you in an aura of light and energy.
Up until this point, this is really only a simplified picture of the grounding meditation…. Now, let’s incorporate the intimacy of our breath and take this experience to another level….
- Unite the flow of your breath with the stream of Light and Energy
- feel the light enter your form from the earth’s heart below and travel upward along your spine with every breath drawn in; feel the light burst through the crown chakra and envelop you with every breath outward
- your breath is the stream by which the light travels
- Imagine the graceful give-and-take, the intricate balance of Nature: With each in-breath, gratefully acknowledge the gift of Sister Flora, Gaia’s grace and provision; with every out-breath, give back to Gaia and Sister Flora
- Release your breath and pour all of yourself out as an offering, as you exhale and clear yourself of impurities
- Accept the next breath with joy, feel it flood your cells with life, allow it to fill every abyss within, without force— simply open the floodgates and feel the life and spirit flow and rush to fill the emptinesses
- we are each other’s survival, us and the earth, intricately joined together and intertwined
Oh, the stability, joy, life, and peace of the unhindered stream of Breath!
The question then remains:
Where do you end and the world begins?
When this becomes unanswerable, indeed nonsensical, you have rejoined the All in consciousness; you have returned home, and all of the universe is available to your intuition.